Tuesday, August 19, 2008

You Light Up My Life


I would like to take this opportunity to brag a little bit about my very talented husband. Ever since he was old enough to hold a hammer and chisel he has worked around stone. He is a 3rd generation stone mason and you can see photos of some of his masonry HERE.

Last summer Adam stumbled upon an alabaster quarry in the southern Utah area and wanted to get his hands on a few chunks of it. The foreman at the site told him he couldn't buy any, but if he wanted to bring a few pizzas down one day, then he would let him load his truck up with all the alabaster he wanted. Well, Adam did just that and before I knew it there were large, dusty rocks piled next to the entry of our basement apartment. Adam had decided to venture into a more artistic realm with his rockwork. I gave him all the encouragement I could muster, and went back inside to enjoy the air conditioning (St. George summers are brutal!). After days and weeks of drilling, grinding, pounding, filing, sanding, buffing, and polishing he had 3 masterpieces. We carried these masterpieces back up to college with us and all the way to California where I finally persuaded him to finish them and now we have 3 one-of-a-kind alabaster lamps in our apartment.








This was Adam's first design. He says it is his favorite because it looks muscular.



















What's unique about this one is that I tried (unsuccessfully) at making a silk lampshade, but what is even more impressive is the patina that Adam put on the copper piping to tarnish it and give it that blue-green hue.

















This one is my favorite. I can't exactly put my finger on why it is my favorite. It may be the shape or the balance of the design, but maybe it's just the funky lampshade.

3 comments:

Tara said...

Amazing work Adam! I hope you are all well, and enjoying cool nice weather while we bake in the sun.

The Boice Family

Dan said...

I'm with Adam on the muscular one, but I do like the funky lamp shade. Maybe you should combine the muscular one witht he funky lamp shade for the ultimate lamp. When can we start the bidding on E-bay for one of those? But, really, I think that is pretty awesome.

Dan Colyar

Rebekah said...

i think that is so cool how supportive you are. and i think it's great that young adam is exploring his artistic side. those lamps are cool. me likey.