Monday, July 19, 2010

Independence

Independence day is one of my favorite holidays. I have fond memories of gathering with family to eat delicious food, watch parades, and light fireworks. Now that Adam and I have started our own family, we thought we had better start some of our own traditions. Now that we are living on the sun...er, I mean, southern Utah, the local parade started at 8AM. By that time it is already 80 degrees outside. We left early to ensure a good spot in the shade and Max wasn't quite awake, but as soon as more people started arriving he started perking up.

4th02.jpg picture by joiester

Now, there are pros and cons to small town parades. I tried to lower my expectations, but I couldn't help but chuckle at the less-than-stellar effort.
I mean, really...no floats?
Mormon missionaries looking like Secret Service with their shades on?
Horses, fourwheelers, followed by more horses...in some ways it was just like any other day on main street, haha!

However, what's awesome about a smalltown parade is what gives it all the charm...
They STILL THROW CANDY!!! (and otterpops)
Max was much more interested in
watching the kids running for the
candy than in anything in the parade itself.
It was short, only about 20 minutes(good, because it was getting hot)
A lot of the time you know half of the people in the parade.



4th03.jpg picture by joiester

4th01.jpg picture by joiester

Although Max couldn't stay awake for the 10pm fireworks show, it was still a really fun morning!

No comments: