Thursday, September 16, 2010

aversion

a·ver·sion

–noun
1.
a strong feeling of dislike, opposition, repugnance, or antipathy (usually fol. by to ): a strong aversion to snakes and spiders.
2.
a cause or object of dislike; person or thing that causes antipathy
3.
Obsolete . the act of averting; a turning away or preventing.

I'm assuming that the definition in red is most appropriate for the procedure that I endured today. However, all of the other definitions are perhaps more fitting to how I felt about the entire experience.

They decided to manually turn my baby from the outside. It was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever endured. Since I haven't been contracting at all they just gave me a saline IV and told me to try and relax. Relax? Why is it whenever someone tells you to relax it means that something very stressful is about to happen. They covered me in about a gallon of gel and two doctors hovered over me, one monitoring the position of the baby with an ultrasound machine, and the other working me over with his hands, forearms, and elbows trying to get this little baby into position.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect and I probably would have been fine until nurses started saying things like: oh, it usually doesn't take this long; momma, you are doing so well; remember to keep breathing. All the while I was breaking into a cold sweat. The baby kept wanting to flip her head back to the top, but they were finally successful in their efforts and got her vertical with her head down.

I was nowhere near ready to be induced, so now I just have to wait and hope that she doesn't try to flip back on her own. If she is breech again on Monday, c-section will be the only remaining option.

Tonight, however, I feel like a human punching bag. Which, coincidentally, has a lot to do with the name we have picked out...but that's the only hint I'm giving for now.

6 comments:

Kristi said...

Oh man Joie, I am SO sorry!! I hope she stays in position for Monday. I am guessing Amber?

Rebekah said...

I can't wait to meet little Million Dollar Baby!!!

John said...

I bet you're going to name her Sylvester, after the famous boxer Rocky.

Janel said...

I'm sorry you had to go through that. It sounds awful! Hopefully it pays off though. I'm going to throw in my guess on the babies name too. I'm going with Pow.

Author said...

OUCH!! Hopefully she stays down...But c-sections aren't really that bad - I've had 3 and have somehow survived.
Are you naming her Rocky?? If you are, its really cute

Dresses and Spurs said...

Hey there...if I would have known you were going to go through that I would have told you, "NO! DON'T DO IT", but at least it was successful for you because it was un-successful for me and our little guy, so c-section it was.

Let us know when your little angel arrives. We're so excited for your little family.

You should be getting a package in the mail from us any day now.