Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Last Minute Road Trip . . .

Well, we weren't planning on going anywhere this holiday season. We rationalized it by telling ourselves that we had just seen Adam's parents at Thanksgiving, Adam couldn't get any time off, and our budget wasn't looking friendly either. We had resigned ourselves to having our first Christmas alone together and it was going to be fine. As I look back now, events were set into motion that allowed us to do what we really wanted, but didn't want to say out loud, and that was go home to Utah and see our families.

In a terrible twist of fate(I say blessing in disguise), Adam's younger brother Skyler was involved in a awful 4-wheeler accident breaking 4 ribs, crushing a vertebrae, breaking both bones in his forearm, breaking his femur off at the hip-socket, and puncturing a lung. This happened about 10 days before Christmas. Through constant phone contact his brother made it through 2 lifeflights and was stable. As a result, Adam decided to tell his boss about the situation and see if there was a chance he could get an extra day or two before Christmas day off. His boss must have been visited by the ghost of Christmas present, because he let him have the whole week of Christmas off.
We took care of business at church and jumped in the car to make the 15-hour road trip. My parents had no idea that we were coming and I really wanted to surprise them. Adam saw his brother and most of the rest of his family. We were in constant contact with my sister to keep my parents in the dark. My brother and sister-in-law had their baby while we were there. When we got to may parents house, we snuck in the front door while my sister was distracting my mom in the kitchen. We went right behind her back and into her bedroom without her noticing. Lindsay kept trying to get my mom to go into the bedroom by telling her there was a big, ugly spider in there, but my mom just told her to kill it herself. Finally, she came in and saw us and was almost shocked to tears. It was really nice to be home.


Tori and Lindsay got a bunch of games for the Wii, so the bulk of our vacation was spent in this manner. My favorite is Tori trying to do the hula hoop in the Wii Fit....hilarious!

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

work it, tori!

Tara said...

I am sorry to hear about Adam's brother. I hope he is doing well. I loved that you surprised your mom, that is awesome!
I played the boxing wii game and I looked so funny and felt silly. I guess you have to have a lot of confidence in playing the wii.lol

Take care.

Dan said...

Adam -
you playing the banjo there on your belly!? Looking good! It was good to catch up while you were in Utah, glad you could stop by.