Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What's in a name?


I am working with a family right now with 3 kids. The primary reason they need my help is because of their middle son, Christian. He was born with cerebal palsy, which means he has little control over the muscles in his body. Besides for the fact that his body can be very rigid, his condition is best compared to that of an infant. Although his physical capabilities are very limited, he makes up for it with a large dose of personality. He fully lives up to his name. I have never met a five year old who is so compassionate, patient, positive, and optimistic. Anytime that I or his mother suggest some activitiy for him to do he responds very politely with "sure" or "that sounds great". He is always commenting on how beautiful the weather is and how nice it is to be friends. Sometimes it's like living in Mr. Roger's neighborhood. At the same time, he is very much a 5-year-old little boy in many ways. He likes to tease his younger sister and can't laugh too much at farting and burping noises. He is a truly happy little spirit and I often think of him when I start feeling sorry for myself.

No comments: