Monday, August 24, 2009

Boy Oh Boy!

I'm so overwhelmed right now I don't really know what to say about the past week...so I will just start with a play by play minus the gory details.

Sunday, August 16 I went into the hospital @ 10am for a scheduled induction. The doctor was concerned with some recent spiking in my blood pressure and adding that to edema and my epilepsy she didn't want to wait any longer. It took all day and night Sunday to thin my cervix enough to start the pitocin drip. I started contracting Monday morning around 10am. By the afternoon the contractions were getting pretty intense and I opted for an epidural(ah-- the miracles of modern medicine). Well after midnight I still had not dilated past 3cm and the on-call doctor said "c-section, let's go!" in a very thick Asian accent--think Mr. Miagi in scrubs. This is just seconds after the procedure, August 18 1:24am, when I met Maximus Riley Madison for the first time...

He weighed in at a whopping 9 pounds 8 ounces(Adam likes to say "of pure muscle"); 21 inches long


Adam's nickname for him is "The World's Biggest Baby" or "World's Biggest" for short.
This is proud Grandma Sheffer who has come to rescue us from the evils of housework and cooking...hooray for Grandmas! Plus, who could resist that face(no Adam, not yours...)

It's nice to put a face to the one who has been kicking me and tickling me with his nightly hiccups. He has a very good temperament and because he's the worlds biggest he already sleeps a good 5-6 hours a night.

Am I prepared for my blog to be taken over? How does something so tiny seem to take over every facet of my existence? This should be an interesting adventure and I can only hope that my communication skills aren't reduced to the level of him who has become my world.....for your sakes, of course.

10 comments:

Rebekah said...

Yay!!! I knew he was born, I could feel it in the air.

Welcome to the world Maxi-poo!

derekandkelsey said...

I'm so glad you decided to tell the delivery story. I always wonder how long it really takes. I am glad you can make it through such a long labor. Congrats and I wish you a speedy recovery!!
p.s. your baby is adorable

The Mursets said...

Congratulations. We're glad he's here safe. Nathan was 9 lbs. 3 oz. Big boys sleep better.

Tyler

Dresses and Spurs said...

Congratulations! It's so good to finally see a photo of him. What a cute baby you both have.

Tara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Fennells said...

He is adorable. I can honestly say that I can see both you and Adam in his face. He's a good combination of the two of you!

Tara said...

Joie, congratulations on such a handsome boy. I have been thinking of you and been wanting to call. I hope to talk soon.

Take care!

Angie said...

awww, he is so cute! How's the recovery? When are you blessing him? And I was wondering, when you get a chance (haha, or should I say when you steal a second away from your new life) send me your favorite photo of THE BIGGEST and I'll turn it into something extra special. Pretend you don't know what I am talking about. You guys are awesome!

The Manns said...

Congratulations! It is amazing how someone so small has so much influence on your daily choices and actions. I look forward to seeing more pictures of him! Rest up and get completly healed soon.

Markie said...

He is the most beautiful little guy this year! Congrats!