Saturday, October 2, 2010

Dempsey Jill

I felt like I was having my first baby...the anticipation was killer.

She is finally here and rivals her brother in size. The resemblance to Max at birth is also uncanny and you can compare to his birth post HERE.

I'm pleased to introduce...
Dempsey Jill Madison
fb06.jpg picture by joiester
Her name was inspired by my paternal grandfather, Jack D Sheffer. His father was a huge fan of the world heavyweight champion boxer from the 1920s, Jack Dempsey. My father and brother also carry the same middle initial of "D".
Also, the street where Madison Square Garden is located is called Jack Dempsey Corner. The "Jill" is for the opposite of "Jack" and also, it's my sisters middle name. Dempsey was already living up to her namesake in the womb--weaving, bobbbing, and using my bladder for a punching bag these last few months!

The day after she was due I went in for a regular OB appointment. I got the feeling that he was going to make me wait another week, because my cervix hadn't budged and I wasn't having any contractions. I did not want to wait any longer, because I knew that she was already really big and the chances of delivering her naturally were slim. So..I busted out the tears. Don't get me wrong. I don't make a habit of crying on cue, but I was emotionally and phisically exhausted so it didn't take much to get the water works going. He decided to schedule an induction for two days later.

Of course, the hospital had a flood of babies that day and so at the last minute they pushed me to the next morning. I was getting so impatient and thought it was never going to happen. They finally called us at 6am to come down. When they checked the position of the baby she was transverse(sideways). My cervix still wasn't ready and so the OB on call told me that he didn't want to induce, because he didn't want to risk rupturing my previous c-section scar. He said I had the option of going home and waiting it out, but I just laughed inside and said, c-section, please!

This time I had a spinal tap instead of an epidural. I'm not sure exactly what all the subtle differences are, but I was numb from the waist down in 30 seconds...awesome! By the time they performed the c-section she was breech and they pulled her out feet first, so within 24 hours she had turned all the way around(good thing I had that aversion...sheesh!)

Well, she was as big as we suspected...9lbs 5oz 21 inches long

collage1.jpg

collage2.jpg


Max has slightly outgrown the plastic bassinet...
collage4.jpg


Hospital fashion and passing the time...
collage3.jpg

fb05.jpg

We are so happy to have another beautiful spirit in our family. I feel so blessed that with all of the medication that I take and the potential for complications I still have big, healthy babies.

fb01.jpg
fb02.jpg

fb03.jpg

fb04.jpg
(Dempsey, already has her boxing hands up)

Max, being 13 months, didn't really have any reaction to the baby. He was too busy playing with everything else in the hospital room. I'm sure it will take him a few weeks to realize what's going on. However, it does make him look sooo grown up!

10 comments:

Kristin said...

So glad that everything went well. I guess we had forgotten you had to have a C-section with Max. We'll have to get brushed up on his story! It wouldn't let me compare their pics though...Congratulations! And welcome Dempsey!

Kristina said...

Congratulations Madison clan! I love the name!

Kristi said...

She is beautiful Joie!! I love her name, and am so glad that both you and she are doing well!

The Haskin Family!!!! said...

Joie!!! Congrats! She is a doll :) Love the name and man i love your big cute babies! man they are adorable...how are you feeling?

Ora said...

You are right.. he instantly looks like a toddler! Congrats! glad she arrived safely. Those aversions are terrible... torture! Try to get some sleep when you can. My experience is fat babies are happy babies! She's a vision... makes me kinda baby hungry... then I walk away from the computer and realize I am crazy! :)

Rebekah said...

i am so happy for you! little million dollar baby is adorable, you have the best, fattest babies in town.

i do have to say that my favorite picture was of max in the bassinet. perfect.

Christine said...

Congrats! She is precious! What a blessing.

Nikki & Richie said...

Congrats Joie. She is so cute.

Tara said...

Congratulations you two!! That baby is beautiful and cubby, just the way I like them. I hope all is well and you are loving life!
Hugs and kisses to that baby of yours and I don't mean Adam.

Janel said...

Congratulations you guys! Were so glad everything went well. Hopefully she'll fit in her Trekkie outfit for a few days :)