Saturday, October 30, 2010

The First 30 Days

At the risk of sounding very ungrateful or melodramatic, I have to say that this past month has possibly been one of the hardest of my life.  My sweet baby Dempsey has had a hard time adjusting to life outside the womb.  We’ve gone through several different formulas and even so, she continues to have trouble with gas and digestion.  Every night we have a little baby “spinning” session to get her legs going and make sure everything keeps moving on through.

1mos   She’s also had a tough time getting on a good sleeping routine.  She will not sleep more than two hours at a time at any point during the day or night, needless to say, Momma has not had more than 4 consecutive hours of sleep in the past month either.  The lack of rest paired with chasing 14-month old Max around all day has made for an extra slow recovery from this c-section.   Excuse the graphic description, but you don’t realize how much you need your abs on a daily basis until they are sliced at the base and then stapled shut for a second time.

Luckily, time heals all wounds and somehow like everyone says, it does get easier.  Now I do have a lot to be grateful for, in fact now that I have written it down it seems rather petty in comparison to what really matters like an a awesome husband that tag-teams with me at night for feeding and rocking the baby, lets me takes naps when there’s a minute,  and wrestles with Max until he is laughing and screaming with excitement. 

tori

Also, I have had my brother Tori practically living with us for the past 2 months and I feel spoiled by all the help I have been given.  He takes out the trash, vacuums, picks up the toys, washes dishes, carries loads of laundry, takes Max outside to play, and has been lifting Max into bed, changing table, high chair, and car seat while I have been restricted during my recovery.

It’s good that there are really tough times being a parent, because it makes moments like this so much sweeter!

md11

3 comments:

Dresses and Spurs said...

Sorry about the little to no sleep momma! Wish I was there to help you.

The Standrings said...

oh man, i don't know how you do it joie. you're amazing.
and i would have to NOT agree on you being uncreative with your kids costumes. i thought that was a super cute idea!

Annie said...

hang in there, joie. The first little bit is rough. I had a friend tell me after Bennett was born that life probably won't feel normal again until 6 months, which I thought was such a rotten forecast. But, really, each day gets slightly better and better. My advice is to keep your goals simple and your to do lists short. And, my friend was right, Bennett is six months and I really do feel like life is under control again.