Friday, February 25, 2011

Spare Time

Being a mom is easy(insert sarcasm)...I don't have that much to do. I mean really, I wish I could just find something to fill all of my free time. My mind is wandering, my hands are idle, if there was only some solution to all of my boredom woes!!

And Adam, he might as well retire he sits around the house so much. Okay, okay, not our house. He's actually been working feverishly for the past four months on a home in the Keyenta communtiy. I dare say it is some of his best work to date and his skill level is right up there among the top masons in the state, but then again, I am bias.

Each stone is cut and fit tight into place with so much accuracy. It is a very meticulous and tedious process. He will be blogging more about it very soon on his own site, but here is a sneak peek of the fireplace.
rockcollage.jpg
Anyway, he has been working 10-12 hour days trying to get this job done. Plus, you know, being a dad and husband is pretty demanding work too.

So, about 9 months ago we were given the most challenging calling we have had thus far.

Cubmasters.

Each of us have served in various capacities in the church and figured there was nothing we couldn't handle. Well we weren't prepared in the least for the commitment required by this calling. And no, being a little cub scout in no way prepares you for leadership in scouting. I didn't know anything about the organization, the previous cubmasters had moved away, and the bishopric was suddenly replaced. We didn't know what we were doing. Den leaders were getting frustrated by lack of communication. We found oursevles resistant to the old fashioned suggested techniques of singing silly songs and acting like clowns in front of the boys. I remember my dad being the Cubmaster when my brother was a cub scout and he put so much time and effort into making every pack meeting spectacular. It just felt as though we were always coming up short each month.

After Christmas we recommitted ourselves to being more organized and really focusing on what the boys need and not so much what the adults expect. Our first large event of the year was the Blue & Gold Banquet--a celebration of the history of scouting. It took a lot of planning, delegating, and preperation. We had over 100 people RSVP for dinner and trust me, I am no caterer.

Besides the food, we had to prepare the awards the boys had earned during the past month. So I took a page from my dad's cubmaster book. He always had some unique/surprising way of presenting the awards. So I made a giant cake out of cardboard. Then using cardboard tubing from wrapping paper and toilet paper rolls, I put the boys' awards inside and wrapped them up to look like candles to put on the giant cake. Each candle had the boys' names and Adam called them up one by one to open up their awards at the banquet. The invites were reminiscent of a bandanna, and I even made little tokens of appreciation for the leaders involving a bunch of yummy mint candies.
scoutcollage.jpg
I wish I had taken more photos at the event of all the balloons, banner and flags made by the boys and spaghetti we made, but the truth is I was running around like crazy trying to make sure everything was done. I could never be an event planner. I can barely make dinner for my own family let alone 25 other families. I appreciate so much my sister who was there helping in the kitchen and everyone else who helped us pull it off. We have learned so much during our time as Cubmasters so far.


Next months challenge....Pinewood Derby.

5 comments:

Christine said...

I was in Scouts once for a few months before they called me to YW. It is a whole new world. I was so clueless. Looks like you two are fabulous cubmasters though. Pinewood Derby should be fun.

Janel said...

All I have to say to both of you is SKILLS! The fire place looks beautiful! The banquet I’m guessing was a huge success. The cake with award candles for the boys was a great idea. Makes me wish I was a scout so I could get one. Pine Wood Derbies are the best. Good Luck!

Cynthia said...

What an AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL fireplace! Adam is so talented. When we buy our home can we hire him??

You are talented too Joie...that cake looks awesome. What a fabulous idea! I bet the scouts love you!

The Standrings said...

i bet you guys are awesome. and that fireplace is beautiful. we miss you guys. come baaaaaaccccckkkk!

BealAmaro said...

Way to go Miss Event Coordinator!