Monday, March 7, 2011

Be Seduced.

So this is a very late Valentine's day post, but only because Adam surprised me with tickets to The Phantom of the Opera in Las Vegas and we just saw the show this past weekend. It was Ah-mazing.

Even though Gerard Butler ranks right up there with some of the best phantoms of all time, there is nothing like seeing a live, organic show on stage. I love the freedom of having my own experience rather than having the camera dictate what and where I should be looking. I have seen the live show a couple of times before, but I was looking forward to the Vegas version. I was not disappointed. The length of the show was shortened from 3 hours to only 95 minutes. The theater was built especially for the production to look like a 19th century opera house.

The special effects, stunts, and pyrotechnics were in true Vegas style. It was pretty exciting to see the phantom himself hanging from the chandelier and actual fireworks going off inside the theater. My only criticism would be that it did seem rushed as they tried to fit all of those huge songs back to back in such a short time period, but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Adam's not a big fan of musical theater, especially the type that have little to no dialogue. He said if he had not seen the movie he wouldn't have been able to follow the sing-songy story line.


mosaic in the lobby of the theater

Adam is a true sweetheart for going to the theater with me when it really makes him cringe. However, his ulterior motives were revealed when he said we would be going to Ruth's Chris steakhouse for dinner. It just so happens to be his favorite place to eat. Ever. I had no objections :) .


vday1.jpg These are the roses he sent to me on Feb. 14th...pretty.pretty. Right is a photo I made him pose for before we left for the show. He can hardly contain himself...Love you Am!

On a less romantic note...I got him a new cell phone, because Max threw his other one in the bathtub.

8 comments:

Janel said...

The show sounds awesome! I’m pretty sure it would make John want to die too. Adam is a good sport for not only going but providing the tickets. Double brownie points! You guys know how to celebrate the holidays! Glad you had a good time or at least got some good food out of it :)

Ora said...

HOW AWESOME! Jay's love of musical theater is about what Adam's is lol... but he wouldn't ever buy us tickets :) That steak must have been excellent for him to endure such nonsense lol WE still need to go play at a park sometime lol

The Mursets said...

OH MY! I am SO Jealous!!!!!!! That is an awesome gift, and did you say it was a surprise?!?! High Fives, Adam!

Joie, I love your makeup! You look great!

Kristi said...

Joie you are GORGEOUS, seriously NOT fair!
I want to see that SO bad! My husband isn't a fan of musicals either. Way to go Adam! :)

Katherine Vincent said...

Holy cow that is amazing. I remember it was like 6-7 years ago we went to the same opera only it was in Salt Lake. To see it in Vegas would have been Awsome. Ruth Chris wouldnt hav been bad ether.

Author said...

You Have Black Hair! Love it!
Phantom of the Opera is by far my all time favorite movie - which Gerard Butler seems to make all the more apparent every time I watch it. And, I love the musical. I've seen it probably about 5 times live, and can't get enough. Never seen the Vegas version though.

SO, when you coming our way?

The Standrings said...

joie- you're a hot mama! and ruth's chris is our all time favorite too. i can't wait for the day we can go again...someday...

Cynthia said...

What an wonderful gift! And that theater...breathtaking! I bet Adam could appreciate to mosaic tile work. That's a good pic of you two. There aren't enough pictures of you and Adam on the blog so it's nice to see you guys.