Thursday, March 31, 2011

talk derby to me

This may have been the most successful, efficient pack meeting yet! I started the morning out by baking 9 dozen chocolate cupcakes. I didn't go too overboard on the icing and decorating--just a simple gummy car fit the theme quite nicely.

2-square-cupcake.jpg

Later that afternoon, Adam headed to the church for the official weigh-in. Now anyone out there who's been a scout, or who has a husband that has been a scout, knows that this is the singular event when fathers all of the sudden turn into little boys. The competition can get quite intense. I can remember going to my brother's derbies and it was all about having the coolest, fastest car out there--like it was somehow an extension of their manhood. 20 years ago, you could count on some arguing, trash talking, and I've even heard rumors of fists being thrown. Luckily, technology has done away with a lot of that.

We just paid a fee and a couple came with an entire computerized setup. The track was connected to a projector and the software did all the work. In fact, once they got all the boys' names into the system, Adam and I actually just sat back and enjoyed ourselves. It would electronically calculate the times out 6 decimal places, automatically bracket the boys according to how fast their cars were and then after everyone had raced four times, it averaged everyone up to see who the winners were....GENIUS!

2-square-cupcake.jpg

2-square-cupcake.jpg

4 comments:

Ora said...

♥your cupcakes! What a simple and fun idea! Glad you guys had a blast at the derby!

Janel said...

Wow I had no idea what technology had done to the Derby world. Now if they could just use it on other sports and get rid of those refs…

Katherine Vincent said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katherine Vincent said...

Ok I am going to try this again. Yes this is the second time. I think that it is cool that its all electronic now. Saves some meberships I bet. Ha Ha. The cup cakes rock. You totally turned those out. The icing looks so perfict.