Monday, September 22, 2008

Home Sweet Home

There has been some inquiry as to what our apartment looks like. I attempted to make a video, but I was having too many technical difficulties and decided to just take a few interesting snapshots. Besides, this is just a sneak peek into our home. If you want to get the full experience, you will have to come out and visit! Upon entering the front door we have the dining area to your left. This table and chairs was given to us by Juli Madison. It used to be a white-washed natural wood color that was chipping away. Just before we moved out here Adam chemically stripped it, put a new laminate top on the table, and we painted all the pieces black. I think it came out pretty nice for our first DIY project. On the wall is our favorite quote from Abraham Lincoln. We find it to be good marriage advice.

If you look to your right you will see our living room. It is a cozy little place where we spend a lot of time. The above photo reveals many things about us. We have a busy office area and cork board plastered with all of hopes and dreams for the future; and staying in touch has become somewhat of a fire hazard with all of the cable and electrical cords strung everywhere.
Also in the living room, we have the most totally awesome couch in the world. The missionaries are always trying to get us to "impart" of what we have by trading them couches, but I could blog all day and all night on this couch, hence, the computer is on the coffee table. (The computer is also there because we can only go 2 or 3 days without watching old episodes of Star Trek on CBS.com--I heart Spok.)
Here are the master bedroom and bath. As you can see those dark brown curtains just don't do the job of keeping the bright, California sun out, especially at 5 am on an eastern-facing window...grrr.

Directly in front of the dining area is the kitchen. All the white cabinets and countertops are something I just love to hate. However, I do like how it is nice and bright and open.
Even though the rent on this place is more than some peoples' mortgages, I am thankful everyday that I have my own washer and dryer and that I don't have to drag my dirty unmentionables to the laundromat or share with anyone anymore. It may seem laughable, but I don't take it for granted. (Oh and the soda? Buy 2 get 3 free sale...moment of weakness.)


This is our guest bathroom. If you haven't noticed by now, I'll let you in on a little secret. Somehow we were lucky enough to get the handicap accessible apartment which means all the light switches are lower, hallways and doorways are wider, there is a strobe light on the fire alarm, and as you can see there are handles around the showers and toilets. We are livin' the good life now baby!

This is the spare room aptly called the "junk room". My first reaction to shooting this photo was, "there's nothin' to see here folks..."as if a tragic accident had occured here, but upon closer inspection it actually reveals a lot about us. Bikes, treadmill, giant ball, boombox, primary lesson manual, enrichment craft project box, rubbermaid bins full of things that never get used, but for some reason cannot be thrown away...if the lens had been wider the list would have been longer. At any rate, if anyone wants stay in this spare room I would be more than happy to clean it out--just for you!

4 comments:

C & D Pedersen said...

Joie, the place looks great and your very your own washer and dryer cannot be beat. Me and my family would like to come out in February/March to Cali. Do you think you will still be there and if so, can we come visit and/or stay with you?

Jessica said...

I think that you were meant for the handicapped apartment. Adam is bound to gain a little weight and he will need the extra wide hallways ;) . Dan is coveting your couch. He is wanting a comfy couch that he can vegg on.

Rebekah said...

what a nice place! i also have devoted many hours of my life to cbs.com, but i can't stand the original star trek, i'm a tng girl myself. i do perry mason, twilight zone, and beauty and the beast, which is a guilty little pleasure.

Merm said...

Oh I miss the Madison house hold! It was so fun to get your comment on my blog. We miss you guys and always talk about you. I hope things are going well. And Jathan still talks about cash flow... he misses it dearly! as do I. But mostly I miss... our dinner conversations. YEAH! So funny! Jathan and Adam and their craziness. YOu may need to clean that junk room out for us... there was some shopping I need to do that I didn't and Jathan needs another hit on the Cash Flowage!